7.06.2004

reading overload

This summer is all about reading. I have books piled all over the floor mostly on feminism, beauty, Asian American women, sex and power. All for my research credits. I think I will reveal my thesis topic at some point. Here's a hint, it has to do with import car racing culture.

so I read the Beauty Myth by Naomi Wolf which was supposed to have been some huge big deal when it came out. It talks about how images of beauty are used to manipulate women. I found it really disappointing. I've never seen anything so poorly written or disorganized in published form. She makes many good, albeit obvious, points (stuff you learn in communication 101) but most of it is directionless ranting with little hard information to back up her claims.

Anyways, on top of that, I've assigned my tutorees summer reading - The Outsiders and Catcher in the Rye, which means I also have to read them. I had never read Catcher in jr. high. It sure beats the Outsiders. I didn't realize how cheezy it is.

No comments: