8.03.2005

surprise!

Wow what a weekend. We thought it'd be a quiet one because Simon was a bit sick so we stayed in on Friday and watched The Life Aquatic. One of those boring movies that is supposed to be subtle in its humour in a clever sort of way but I didn't find it clever, funny, or remotely interesting for that matter. Saturday night we stayed in again and I made some jewellry and stuff but at around 8pm I got a call from my friend Jane from Vancouver. She announced that she and my friend Joe were in Portland and were en route to San Fran to visit. They mentioned something of the sort but I thought they were joking. Sure enough they arrived 7am Sunday morning (It's a 16 hour drive Vancouver -> SF). They had pulled an all nighter. They slept that morning and then in the afternoon we headed to Union Square. Went out for dinner that night in Palo Alto and then to Gilroy the next day to finish off their whirlwind visit. Luckily they have much to show for their short time here. They scored some great deals at Macy's and at the Gilroy outlets e.g. $17 Calvin Klein jeans and $9 Banana Republic skirt. I thought I was impulsive once when I turned a day trip in Seattle into an overnighter so we could go to a party that night. Trekking all the way to SF though is a different level all together.

So back to normal life now. I kinda feel inspired to do some sort of barely planned road trip on impulse but it probably won't happen. Ah well. My next big decision right now is whether or not to spend $9.99 on one of those Entertainment Coupon Books because that's how much they cost when the whole thing expires Nov 1. Regularly they're $25. I figure we order some $6 movie tickets and get a 2 for 1 dinner and it breaks even. Hmmm... OK gotta go buy groceries and prep for Toastmasters. My turn to speak, I'm going to do a cooking demonstration (speech #3 advanced manual - The Demonstration Talk).

1 comment:

Oliver said...

me and a couple of buddies of mine (great english...) once drove to sanfrancisco on a whim. the 3 of us drove straight there, stayed for 46 hours and then drove home. we didn't buy anything and we didn't do any sightseeing. we just visited their cousins and then left. ah, good times...