8.12.2005

popscene

I actually went out for once on a Thursday night (although, admittedly, I volunteered to be the designated driver so it wasn't all that wild). Denny was planning on going to popscene at 330 Ritch with some coworkers. They bailed so it ended up being just Denny, Shannph, Simon and I. Denny mentioned it'd be British pop so I was there in a heartbeat. The web site promised a variety melancholic melodies from the likes of the Cure (my personal favourite), the Smiths, Charlatans UK, Depeche Mode, Ride, Stone Roses and many more. This is pretty much all I listened to from grades 8 through to, well, occasionally today with the addition of Canadian band Grapes of Wrath, which I played to no end and still do when Simon isn't around to complain about my "suicide music". I have to say it was REALLY weird to hear these tunes at a club and trying to dance to it. That kinda music was something I tended to listen to in solitude while weeping quietly in my room and writing bad poetry lamenting the angst that was teenagehood. Ah, those were the days. *sigh* So tonight they played one Cure song, a couple Smiths, and a mix of some Bjork and John Lennon. The rest I wasn't so familiar with, perhaps some selections from some indie bands as well like they promise on their flyer. It was a fun crowd. I never knew you could dance to the Cure until now and there isn't really a particular way to dance to this stuff, you just sorta do. Will definitely go back.

No comments: