8.15.2005

effort

Reading my friend's blog reminds me of my own issues with people who don't make an effort. You know those "friends" who don't open evites, don't reply to emails, don't return calls, don't call when they're in the neighbourhood, and generally don't make an effort to keep in touch because they think they've got better things going on in their lives? People like that don't deserve your efforts. We lead busy lives and my philosophy is to cut bait with people who don't reciprocate. There are some people I once considered good friends. We've taken trips and road trips together and we've never had a falling out of any sort. But they got lazy, anti-social, and selfish, and when they couldn't even make the effort to open an evite or to reply to an email I sent to keep in touch I stopped trying. I later found out a bunch of those folks got married and even had kids in the year or two that we lost touch.

Cut bait, don't look back, keep the good friends you've got. Good friends don't have to be people you see every week or even talk to every month, but wave hi once in a while so I know you're alive and it's all good.

People who don't make an effort eventually find themselves very very alone and sometimes go scrambling around to reconnect when things go to the shitter for them. I have a hard time pretending like things are OK with people like this when they finally come out of the woodwork because they need something from you. All I'm thinking silently is - have you no shame?

3 comments:

ceaz said...

Ugh.. reading her blog got me all frustrated especially since I remember when and how they got together in the first place.

But to your point, good friends NEVER lose touch. It's all about the effort, even if it's only a simple phone call or a quick hello through e-mail once in a blue moon.

Thoughts said...

Yah I couldn't believe what I was reading! That's crazy.

Fumbling said...

thanks for leaving comments for Jenn you guys. It's really hard for me to get through sometimes cuz so many people have treated her like this in her lifetime that I dont think she sees it as abnormal. she just blames herself.