8.26.2005

AZN

I heard about the AZN television network from my various APA mailing list and I've been watching it on channel 69 here where I am. I have to admit I didn't have high hopes after seeing a couple of the other attempts at Asian American TV programming that were just plain cheesy. But I've had this channel on for the last few hours and I can't stop watching. There was some show with "Jim and James" that cracked me up. They remind me of my friend Dan back home. Super funny guys. Before that there were some interviews with some local APA arts groups here in SF like Locus Arts and Bindlestiff Studios. It's kind of funny because a woman I had coffee with from Hyphen Magazine was the one being interviewed. It was also interesting to see some of the performers because I'm on the mailing lists for all these groups but can never make it out to check them out because many of their events take place in the early evenings when I'm working or during rush hour. After that there were some interviews with APA rappers and dancers.

Now it's back to Jim and James asking an acupuncterist if he only "gives it" or if he "takes it" too. I'm impressed by the talent on their Egg program (really relaxed, really natural...unlike StirTV eeek sorry dudes, I couldn't stand watching Stir and the web site was even worse -- since when is favourite clothes an important part of a host's bio and educational/professional background not?!?). Stir still airs on AZN. Anyways, I found the production of the other stuff I saw on AZN really professional. Not too many of the I-just-wannabe-like-MTV style cuts or the amateurish, non-moving camera or excessive zooming/extreme close-up type productions.

I just have to remember to tune in on Monday nights for the films. Hooray for AZN.

2 comments:

James said...

What? no annoying camera angles or cuts? Obviously you haven't seen x-bytes. The most annoying camera constantly moving, quick cuts show I've ever seen. Actually it's probably the same camera guy as some short lived import show that used to be on speed channel. Stirtv still uses every single effect shot available on the camera or they learned in school. With no real purpose or artistic idea. They just used it cause it looked cool while they were at the academy of art. Very annoying. I also haven't seen any of the hosts talk without being stiff as a board. Hopefully they'll get better with time as I like the concept.

Fumbling said...

Ah so we can file that one away with Stir under "hard to watch". I think I saw 3 programs last night, one of them being Egg and I'm not sure names of the other two.