8.23.2005

sitcom moment

We had a weird sitcom moment last night. But I'll have to give some background first. When I was little I was watching something like Growing Pains or Family Ties with my parents and I asked why the characters would get up in the middle of the night to make themselves a sandwich. And since it's a sitcom, often another family member would join him/her so that a dialog could ensue. Well my parents responded that it's a white people thing to get up from sleep in the middle of the night to make a meal, sorta like how they wear shoes in the house and we don't. "OK," I thought to myself as I stored that away in my memory.

So last night we went to bed around 2am, which is getting to be the norm, in fact it's almost 2 now dammit. I could not sleep for the life of me because I was thinking about my Toastmaster's speech contest and what I should talk about. I was also kind of hungry even though we had a kick ass dinner at a new Greek place by the Albertson's here. I tossed and turned and heard Simon tossing and turning too. At 4am he got out of bed and went downstairs. I didn't hear any typing so I knew he wasn't taming his servers at work. Then I smelled food so I headed downstairs. Very much a sitcom moment except there were no sandwiches. Simon was slurping up a bowl of udon with chili bamboo shoots and I heated up a big bowl of Thai curry chicken. That helped me sleep even though I woke up this morning with some bad heartburn. Maybe I should've made a sandwich.

No comments: