7.21.2005

youthful optimism

I was watching public TV tonight, a documentary on recipients of some sort of big scholarship (Presidential something or other, forgive me, I'm not American and don't know the details of these things.) All these incredibly articulate 18 year olds. The best and brightest getting ready to go to Princetone, Juilliard and the like. I couldn't help but compare my attitude to theirs. There were winners in the visual arts, dance, drama, and music and they were heading to the top schools in their fields. But unlike me, they're not jaded by rejections, lay offs, and various other tragedies that come with age. Most of them probably don't even know the taste of failure. Have no idea that the dancing they study at Juilliard will not likely get them a secure or well paying job. They have no bitterness or regret, just hope, and anticipation. I sometimes wonder if this unbridled optimism, if somehow injected into my psyche, would change how I approach things. And if that in turn would change how things turn out in my life. Afterall, you are a part of your environment...you influence the outside world as much as it influences you. I've always envied those people who see the positive in any situation. But that's not something I've ever been able to force myself to do.

1 comment:

Shaky Jake said...

It's so hard to get back on that bike once you fall off. Every bone in your body can still feel the aches and pains of failure.

I envy the optimists.