7.25.2005

my job sucks

It's 5:10 pm and where am I supposed to be? I'm supposed to be at the library tutoring a 13 year old. I'm going to keep this toned down because it's a rather public blog with my name on it, but still there's smoke coming out of my ears right now so I have to write something. So I showed up at 4:30pm. Same time as usual mon-thurs. Pretty easy to remember right? We've been doing summer tutoring for a month and this is the 3rd time he's pulled a no show. Why? Because he's a little lacking in time management skills but this really is his parents' responsibility to get him there don't you think? After the last no-show his dad gave me a bunch of numbers to call when this happens. (at the time I thought WTF?) Anyways, so I called the kid's cell phone today and turns out he forgot again and was nowhere near the library. So I call his mom's cell to leave a vmail that goes like this -- [kids name] didn't show up AGAIN today. Last time [husband's name] gave me a bunch of numbers to call when this happens but I really can't be expected to chase him down when he doesn't show. I show up on time always and I just expect the same from him. [end] What pisses me off most is all I get is some quasi-apology (sometimes) and no pay for the time I wasted getting there, waiting, waiting some more, and then going home. Over the school year this has probably happened about 10 times. But what can I do when this is one of the few things I can do to cover my own fucking health insurance, car insurance, gas, cell phone and expenses? Luckily my other students who are off for the summer are always on time and ready to go and make me laugh like crazy everytime I'm with them. No matter what I actually plan to keep in touch with these kids to make sure they do OK well into college. And their parents are incredibly responsible and considerate. Maybe it's just time to find more students like that.
----------------------------
On a happier note, Ceaz has started a blog.
Welcome Ceaz. Hope ya post regularly.

5 comments:

Ben said...

Can you find another student to replace this revenue stream? Sounds like he's more of a loss than anything else.

Syndromes said...

Yah I totally agree with Ben.

Drop that zero and getchoo a hero!

head dump said...

Can you arranged to get paid for missed sessions? They're paying you for that time, and if the kid doesn't show that's his lost!

Fumbling said...

well the first time i forgave them cuz i'm stupid and i thought it was a one time thing. that set a bad presedence and now i feel weird making new rules. i think once i get a new student in the pipeline i'm going to clamp down on this family and maybe just drop them.

James said...

You really need to setup a paid whether he shows or not rule. Or prepay in advance for the lessons.