7.15.2005

what I've learned so far

My blogs are getting dull. All I talk about is my thesis and Phd apps. Ho hum. Welcome to my fabulous life. Anyways, I thought I'd make it slightly more interesting by posting things learned in this process (of looking for import models to interview and schools to apply to):

1. Xanga has web rings, or blog rings as they call them, while MySpace has groups. Groups are just people who can log in to post to a particular forum, but is not by any means a web ring. Friendster has nothing of the sort but you can click on interests to find others with matching interests.
2. Asian Avenue is pretty much dead. Too bad their articles are decent. I'm sure there's no audience for them since their members are high schoolers hanging out in the forums talking about throwing farts at people.
3. MySpace has the youngest audience (lots of middle schoolers and high schoolers), Xanga is somewhere in the middle (early college crowd), Friendster seems to be more popular with the late college to young professional crowd.
4. Some university web sites are really garbage and/or really outdated. Some even have dead links. C'mon now, how the hell are you going to recruit students?
5. Recruiting interviewees is like having a sales job. Tracking warm leads, making contacts, recontacting people.
6. People sometimes offer to help out of the blue because they're well...nice. People you don't expect help from and have really nothing to gain by helping (e.g. Jacob, this photographer/model coordinator for an online magazine, Tine's friend Jon who frequents car shows, various people on Ehclub, grad students giving detailed application advice - thanks everyone!)
7. I spend 2 hours out of my house each day - 1 hour at the gym, 1 hour tutoring - and I'm still getting cabin fever. I need to interact with more people before I lose it.
8. Transcribing interviews is HELL. I type faster than the wind but I can only retain so much in my head at one time - play, pause, play, pause. Took me several hours to transcribe a 34 minute interview. @#$%
9. Many graduate programs no longer have print material for prospective students. You get that crappy web site, some online application system, and that's it.
10. Time flies when you're multitasking online

Weekend is here already. Tonight have to head to South San Jose to see my friend's new Shiba Inu puppy, then try to haul ass back north for a going away party in the city. Saturday, import model interview, then out to see Deep Dish. This time I'm taking it easy, can't afford to lose a Sunday cracked out and hung over.

1 comment:

Syndromes said...

I've been thorougly uninspired in my own blogging of late, so don't worry about being alone ;)

Hope the thesis isn't beating you down too hard :)