7.07.2005

frustrating

I'm already starting to wish I had chosen a different thesis topic that didn't require soliciting interview participants. I have spent several full days wading through Asian Avenue sites and Friendster pages, squinting to read the text written in alternating lower case and uppercase letters, trying to translate slang as foreign to me as Latin, and attempting to understand why it is so cool among America's young people to deliberately spell things incorrectly. Despite my best efforts, I've recruited zero participants so far and it's beginning to freak me out here. My posts to various import culture and Asian American forums have gotten me replies that read like this:

They let you pick that topic for your MA? By: AznPatriot
Too bad I went the route I did for my MS. I could have done a study on women's
boobs and the correlation between nipple size and income level, or some other
equally interesting [yet useless] topic.

Another guy flamed me for having only posted once and thus "using the forum for my own personal gain". What the hell am I supposed to do, give you advice on your engine swap just to show I'm reciprocating?

I'm so sick of this already.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

van - what the heck do you mean by "import model(ing)"? like, modeling, modeling? fashion modeling? or something with cars? hu? i think the web site part threw me off... or the "import" part...
if you could clarify, maybe you'll get a bigger response.

Syndromes said...

Just throwing out stuff, not sure if it's helpful or not :)

Have you tried contacting any of the models at Hot Import Nights or seeing if possibly you can goto a show (one down here in diego in a few weeks apparently)?

Here's a link to some models (which then links to their sites/contact info I think):

http://www.hotimportnights.com/models/

Hope that helps and keep your chin up :D

Fuck the naysayers ;)

Ben said...

DaYMN, grrl. I F33L u. muz B TuFF tRyin' 2 D!g uP StuFF LAHk DaT. V@N 4eva! PeACE oV+.

Fumbling said...

Mag, import models are girls who aspire to be spokesmodels but often just end up laying around half naked on cars at import car shows. It's a huge asian american youth culture thing and they know who they are. Syndromes, thanks for the encouragement. Yeah i'll prolly go to the one in Oct in Pleasanton.