12.27.2004

this is your life

Yesterday was an interesting day. Went up to Mount Seymour (which is about 1/2 hour away from my house) with Stan, his bro and his gf. Visibility was excellent and the view was spectacular (better than the lookout at Cypress) but it just hasn't snowed a whole lot here lately. It was pretty hard packed and I had an incredible wipe out everytime I got off the lift. (I hate pointing straight because I pick up speed and I freak out that I only have one foot strapped in). But it was pretty cheap ($28 CAD if you go with a season pass holder) and we almost had the mountain to ourselves because I guess most folks were out Boxing Day shopping.

After that Ray (Stan's brother) picked up me and his friend Pearson to go for dinner at Daimasu before hitting Barnone. I had a weird "I know you but I don't know how" moment with this guy Pearson. I went to high school with his big sister but we couldn't figure out the connection otherwise. Does anyone out there know how I know this guy? This "I know you but I don't know how" feeling continued at Barnone after I saw piles of people I knew from somewhere somehow. Luckily Joe, who has a better memory than I, re-introduced me to some folks whom I used to party with (no wonder I couldn't remember) and then more people showed up who've been a part of my life at some point in time. I felt like I was on Sesame Street, or was it the Muppet Show, when they do the "this is your life" skit. From ex-bf, to ex-bf's friends, to SFU classmates, to UBC friends, rave buddies, studying friends, friends' exs and friends' younger siblings, to my most recently-acquired Vancouver friends who now reside in SF. They were all there and it was really really eerie. Lucky I was sober enough (not entirely but sober enough) to know what was going on. Note to future visitors to Canada, well drinks are super watered down. Stick to beer if you don't want to get ripped off, or order a double to get something equivalent to a drink you'd get in SF. Squirl was on something like her 9th or 10th and her speaking volume had not increased in the slightest. Willy had something like 15 before he publicly announced that he was "finally drunk."

Not sure what I'll be up to the rest of this week aside from praying for snow, eating, sleeping and watching junior hockey (and any other hockey they put on TV to satisfy the needs of NHL-deprived Canadians across the country).

2 comments:

head dump said...

Seems like everyone took the party back home. Suddenly it's so quiet down here in SF.

Fumbling said...

Aw, don't worry, Ray is back in the Bay and everyone else will be back this week (but me, sniff sniff).