12.24.2004

gloom and doom

It's cold and very damp out and the skies are a dark grey. No more blue skies, this is the real Vancouver weather I know and hate. There's something about the holiday season that drives me crazy. All the stupid commericals with disgustingly happy families cooperatively setting food on the table or excitedly unwrapping presents and all the other Christmas shit. I find it all rather nauseating. I don't think I've enjoyed Christmas since I realized Santa wasn't real. That was really the only highlight after all. Our family functions require quite the performance just to appear as though we all actually enjoy each other's company. I just tell myself I'm there for the food (except for that awful Chinese cake with the chestnut crap inside) and to hang out with my cousins. Even though one of them (and her entire famly) hasn't showed up for the past decade or so. How fucked up is that? I can't wait until all this is over and they quit playing those horrid Christmas carols on the radio.

3 comments:

Ben said...

Bah. Humbug.

I don't love Christmas as much as I used to, and I never believed in Santa Claus -- even before I was old enough to see scientific proof that he couldn't exist.

But you, you definitely need a visit from three ghosts of Christmas. So, dear Van, get ready: go to sleep in your nighty, close the drapes on your four-post bed, and have a candlestick nearby. Don't worry, it'll all be over in a day or two.

Oh, I think I'll just copy this into my next blog entry tomorrow.

Syndromes said...

Sucks to hear you don't enjoy the holidays more. Not so much for the "holiday reasons", but hey, any excuse to try and enjoy yourself is good enough for me ;)

If nothing else, I suppose coming "home" to the Bay Area will be a nice reprieve from the holiday drubbing, so you have that to look forward to :)

Merry (post?) Holidays!

Syndromes said...

BTW if it makes you feel any better, the weather here in SF seems to be rainy rainy rainy, and more rainy days to come for the next week :)