12.31.2004

our own 10 year reunion

Well we finally got around to it. As planned, two of my friends from grade 8 and onward got together for dinner. We probably haven't seen each other since 2nd or maybe 3rd year university, so 95 or 96 when I started doing more co-ops than school terms and then ended up working full time. Even then it was mostly a hello in the hallway as we didn't share the same major and had started making different friends in university.

I brought my Montgomery Jr. High yearbook and we went through it to jog our memories about who we've run into or heard news about lately or figured the whereabouts of thanks to Google. It was kind of weird how we might look a little different but our voices and mannerisms largely stayed the same. After we got caught up on the last 8 years or so careerwise and relationshipwise, it was kind of like old times. It was nice to get some perspective on some of my current issues and worries from people who can be objective because I haven't seen them in forever, but who also know my character well enough to give sound advice. *sniff sniff* thanks guys. Many people we talked about still live in the Coquitlam area (I think I would've lost my mind if I did) and I'd say most are married, some with a kid. It was kind of interesting to trade stories. Although it would never be in my character to stick around my hometown and settle down so early, the fact that most of my peers have gotten married and even started families really makes my life seem unstable and unfocussed in comparison. Maybe that's why I've chosen to move to a place where there are so many ambitious unmarried thirty-somethings. Somehow they make me feel less "behind" in life. I guess my NY resolution will be to find some degree of balance day-to-day and worry less about things falling into place because worrying doesn't make it happen any faster. That said I'll be 30 in a little more than a year and I want to see some progress in my life by then!

5 comments:

Syndromes said...

Happy New Year Vanessa :) I hope the New Year treats you right and you're able to get some of that stuff done in your life that you've been hoping for - 30 is just the beginning! Or at least that's what Oprah told me :)

.:missy:. said...

You're not behind at all, and you've made lots of progress already! I am forever comparing myself to friends who are married, have kids, are settled in their careers, have mortgages, etc. But, what I've come to realize in the past 4 years (since going back to law school) is... I may not be in the same place they are, and some might consider that a setback, but I'm making the right choices for ME. And that's not only OKAY, but it's probably also going to make me a better mom, wife, lawyer. I will be that much more settled and prepared when the time comes for me to be like "them." So, try not to feel like you're behind, or that you have to be like everyone else. You're doing your thing, and you're getting edumacated, too! Nothing wrong with that, girl. I'm a fellow ambitious unmarried almost-thirty-something and I stand behind your decision all the way! All in due time, my friend.

Fumbling said...

thanks Melissa. I knew I started this blog for a reason. :)

head dump said...

I work with lots of Latino's who already have children since their late teens early twenties. I guess it's in their culture. On M,T,W,Th and Fridays I feel so behind and old in comparison. On Friday and Saturday nights I'm forever 21 and wonder why I would want kids within the next few years.

Anonymous said...

Hey you really have a great Blog site, related to **Big and Tall**