10.20.2005

runners

We just got a new member at Toastmasters who came out with us tonight for "post Toasties", i.e. drinks at a local restaurant. We checked out the new BJ's in San Mateo and it was really good. Tasty beer, melt in your mouth pot roast sandwich, and, according to Eva, good dessert. So our new member, originally from India, was telling us that his wife had never done exercise until two years ago when she entered a gym for the first time. Under extreme duress she signed up for a training program for a marathon where you also must raise over $2K for children in India. So that was it, in May of this year she signed herself up and couldn't get out of it. Between May and now she has worked herself up to running 21 miles by following a mentor with a training program. Is that inspiring or what? It almost makes me want to take up running. This past Sunday I ran 2 miles and then walked a half mile. The run portion took me 24 minutes. That already seemed like an awful long time and I ran pretty damn hard considering I suck at this. I think I'll try to work up to maybe 6 miles and make that my goal. I can't understand how people can do anything for 3-4 hours straight. I can't even watch a movie for that long without a break, snack, or nap...or all three.

7 comments:

egan said...

Vanessa, it looks like it may be time to use the word verification to get rid of this comment spam.

I am guessing the thought of completing an Ironman event would be rather overwhelming to you. It's overwhelming to me, yet I signed myself up for one. On the running front... build up slowly. Many long distance runners run for 8 minutes, walk for 2 and repeat this 8-2 cycle over and over. You could do a variation of this. 7-3 or 6-4 as you build up. Best of luck.

Sam said...

Wow 21 miles in 6 months, that’s really something.

Glad to see you starting to run. Looks like the toastmasters has enough runners to start a running group now. :)

egan said...

By the way, how do you like Toastmasters? Do you recommend it?

ceaz said...

Van - Try running up the hill to my place. I've walked it and I get tired.

Fumbling said...

That's where it is. Duh, I was wondering how people got that word verification thing. Thanks Egan. Sam, this woman sounds incredible. Her husband, our new TM member is really nice! Cec, I've walked the distance to your house too. It's probably only about 1.5 miles.... :)

Fumbling said...

Wait a sec, Cec, I forgot you moved. I would never walk up the hill to your new place. are you nuts?

egan said...

The word verification will make a huge difference in the amount of comment spam. I haven't seen any spam on any blogs where the word verification is in use.