5.23.2005

snotty brat

I was tutoring again today at the local public library. I was working with a boy who used to be in special ed (and probably still should be if the teachers in that program weren't so horrible). I'm pretty sure that kids at his middle school know he's a special ed student and I don't imagine that he has many friends since he's rather slow in social ways too. Sadly many students know of him because his little brother, from the interactions I see at the library after school, is very smart, charming, and wildly popular.

So I'm working with this kid and I see a table of girls about his age, 13 or so, snickering. I see them all the time and they don't do much but mess around and try to attract attention to themselves. All of a sudden the prettiest one in the group, a blond dressed in white capris, a pink top and matching pink scarf belt, comes walking over to me. With book in hand she leans over me, book touching MY arm and in a deliberately babyish voice asks "can you tell me what this word means?" I stare her down and respond "I'm not here to help YOU. There's a dictionary right there, why don't you get it and look it up?" I wish I could've shut down her attempt at teasing my student by adding "you arrogant little bitch. I hope you get knocked up and live in a trailer the rest of your life."

3 comments:

Ben said...

Why would they be trying to get your attention?

Fumbling said...

it wasnt so much getting my attention as it was trying to tease/intimidate the kid I was tutoring cuz they think tutoring is for stupid kids. I also overheard them saying something about high school students in the library refering to me (I guess they think I'm in high school). I witness a lot of really subtle bullying like this in the library.

Ben said...

Kids are so cruel nowadays. It's like they're all unhappy about something and have to take it out on the little ones by making their lives a living hell. I hate bullies. I wish bigger bullies would bully them harder.