5.03.2005

cereal

I finally finished this box of Smart Start cereal that is supposed to be good for your heart and all this other stuff. I had actually purchased it as a Costco size set of two boxes but ended up giving away one of them to the food bank after I opened the other. It was just soooo sweet, like I'm talking Frosted Flakes sweet. I couldnt imagine that crap could really be good for you. I had to start mixing it with Grape Nuts to unsweeten it a bit.

So on the weekend I headed to Trader Joe's to try out some new cereal since I've gotten sick of Kashi GoLean (it's only good for the first few boxes and then it gets a little tired) and will never again buy Smart Start. So I bought the Apple Cinnamon More and Less (more protein less carbs). I figure you can't go wrong with Apple Cinnamon and anything at TJs is usually pretty tasty. Man was I ever wrong. I have never tasted cereal more awful. It is low in sugar to the point of absolute tastelessness unless you get lucky and spoon up one of the 5 or 6 tiny dehydrated apple pieces included in the cereal. And when it mixes with the milk it ends up tasting and taking on the texture of wet cardboard, yes if you've ever imagine eating papier mache, this is what it tastes like. I hate wasting food so I'm going to have to pull my old trick of mixing it with a tried and true cereal like raisin bran or something.

Anyone want to warn me of other shitty cereals before I go trying them? (no kids' cereals, I never buy them anyways)

5 comments:

Syndromes said...

Give some of the granola stuff a shot that's made by "Back To Nature". Also, the flax cereal by that same company is pretty tasty. I think the TJ's granola is pretty nasty myself - a little TOO earthy for me, but to each their own :)

My next cereal mission is to find me some steel-cut oats!

egan said...

Darn, you beat me to the punch. I love sugar/kids cereals. I was going to suggest Trix or Lucky Charms. I can tell which of those to avoid, but not many of the "healthy" cereal. I can tell you I think Grape Nuts tastes like ass. It's like eating gravel. Oh wait, you may like Grape Nuts.

Have you ever stared at the folks on the Kashi Good Friends cereal box cover? They freak me out. Are they really friends or is there something else going on? Just a thought.

.:missy:. said...

I like Oatmeal Crisp with Almonds. It's not too sweet and it's pretty healthy. It also comes in a raisin version, but I hate raisins, so I've never tried it. Doug has, though, and he really likes it.

Oliver said...

I still like Rice Krispies. Another one of my favourites is Golden Grahams.

Jenn TM said...

special k with strawberries is my personal favorite...but then I start my morning with 2 eggo waffles everyday...with chocolate chips! yum