5.31.2005

PK

I'm sitting here debating whether to head to an adult gymnastics drop in close by my house. This kinda thing is usually really expensive in the states and nowhere near home but my end of semester weight gain is what's keeping me from jumping on the opportunity because you feel every pound gained when you try to get airborn. Anyways, I was Googling for adult gymnastics to see if there were any mentions in the gym forums. What I found was a discussion thread on PK or Parkour. I'm thinking, what the heck is PK? I've heard of acrogym, tumbling and various circus related offshoots of gymnastics workouts but PK? The funny thing is that Chinese folks know PK to stand for Pook Kai which literally translates to "trip on the street" (or figuratively it means fuck you). Which is ironic because parkour, according to http://www.parkour.org.uk/ is some sort of underground "urban free running" activity that started in France and is spreading through the UK and I guess Canada since folks on the message board are practicing out at UBC and at Club Aviva. It was popularized by a couple of indie films that I have never heard of. Anyways, what people do is literally run through the streets balancing on rails, vaulting walls, and jumping between buildings. Here's some photos. Kinda crazy stuff that I could see leading to a hell of a lot of injuries if not practiced carefully, which I'm sure it is not by many. Hmm, anyways, I think I'm going to be brave and check out the adult gym drop in and see if I run into any traceurs (people who practice parkour).

2 comments:

Ben said...

PKing (not the Cantonese version) looks like fun, but incredibly strenuous and dangerous! Would be cool to train for something like that, though.

head dump said...

I'm sure somewhere along the path one of those guys must have Pook kai.