5.18.2005

ADHD

Two of my classmates are doing a documentary on the use of stimulants to control ADHD in children. They're interviewing a couple of families who have their children successfully managing their behavior with ritalin and two families whose children have died as a result of taking the drugs (not overdosing, just taking as prescribed). I had no idea that the risks included death due to heart failure. What's really interesting is that they believe that ADHD is just a made up problem. That there's no such thing as ADHD, just a range of differences in our levels of stimulation. ADHD people are said to lack natural internal stimulation and are restless because they are subconsiously trying to keep themselves stimulated. My classmates think the diagnoses is just a scam that keeps the drug companies profitable. It's a really interesting topic for me because I was a really hyperactive kid and I know I have a really hard time keeping my mind focussed (which resulted in my running out of time on the GRE and having to take it twice) -- so do I have adult ADHD? Or am I just on the low range of the natural stimulation scale and need to work a little harder at focussing? I've actually considered getting tested but now what's the point if those drugs can kill you?

1 comment:

Fumbling said...

what are rits? I'm curious. And when are you gonna start a blog?
:-)