11.14.2005

my lucky day

Today I witnessed a most impressive act of God. As I was walking to Brent's popular culture class where I sit in a corner and listen quietly (I'm not actually enrolled because I'm too poor to take extra classes I don't need), a huge and I'm talkin' HUGE flock of seagulls flew over head. I saw them coming and ducked under a tree a little bit. Just as I ducked, the head gull must've issued the "bombs away" order and it literally rained bird shit right next to me. First of all, I've never seen so many gulls fly in a flock together. Usually they're just standing around alone on a dock. Secondly, I have never seen mass simulataneous shitting before. Not like that. The gulls densely splattered an area about 15' in diameter and the first thing everyone in the vicinity said was "holy shit." Quite an appropriate statement. I'd like to say that I narrowly escaped it but sadly I did not. I got some on my left pant leg. Isn't there some culture out there that believes that being shit on by a bird is lucky? I think it's time to buy a lotto ticket.

Completely unrelated to birds and/or shit, I'd like to point you to yet another new blog. http://watertreading.blogspot.com JP is a fellow I met on the old Media Action Network for Asian Americans newsgroup (which is totally useless now that it is moderated and all the latest news and info is delayed by days if not weeks). Like me, he's into issues of ethnicity and media and politics...but he's a whole lot more articulate.

2 comments:

Eunice said...

I think it would have been a miracle for you to escape the massive dumping unscathed. That is incredible.

jp said...

hey sista van!

wow. quite a bird story there...

one time when my daughter was perhaps about 7, i took her to the playground and there was a huge flock of gulls and they were swarming to the right of her head, perhaps only about 10 or so feet above. that in itself was quite a sight to see, but my daughter had a bag of cheetos... i told her to throw one up in the air to see what would happen, and sure enough, a gull intercepted it. she threw another, and soon there was a huge swarm right above her. it was one of those moments where i wish i'd had my camcorder.

hey van, thanx for the props - i linked to ya!

-jp