11.14.2005

more on blue cross

OK this is mostly for Syndromes but also for anyone else on Blue Cross. If you read the fine print, they will do your blood work for $75 (instead of billing you $229 %#@&) if you go to one of the Blue Cross "Wellness Centres." They have contracts with these centers so it costs less to get this and other stuff like routine physicals (also not covered) at these places. The number to find a center is supposed to be on the back of your membership card. Of course they don't tell you any of this shit unless you call in to inquire. The web site is garbage and just meant to give enough information to sell you a plan. No info on the details of your benefits. But still, Blue Cross was the cheapest PPO plan I could find (less than $70/mo., $5K deductible). HealthNet was HMO, which I hated, and costed more and I already talked about Kaiser below. You'd probably walk into Kaiser for a booster shot and end up accidentally getting chemo or something. And if you just lost your job, get off the COBRA plan asap. It's just a continuation of the benefits that your company provided you except it now gets billed to you instead of the company that just kicked your ass out on the street. So quite likely your COBRA will cost a few hundred bucks a month and is way more than you need if you're generally healthy and single.

3 comments:

Syndromes said...

Thanks for the info maam :) I'll have to see what it'll cost me since I don't pay full costs, per my layoff package. Either way, that's a ridiculous amount of money to pay and I hope someone has the balls to sack up and take on national health care again in the coming months/years.

jp said...

yeah, well, we've both talked about this in our blogs. now what?

the problem - as usual - is capital. GIGANTIC capital interests - the insurance co's, the hmo's and pharmaceuticals - have a huge stake in keeping national health care a wish. moreover, they have powerful lobby megaphones, ie: $$$, that politicians love. it adds up to nothing less than buying somebody off.

now, the interesting faction of the above three lobbies is the pharmaceuticals. because they will get paid whether a nationalized or private system is in place. at what price is another matter. the only thing that could change that scenario would be if drug developments were also nationalized, and that's not gonna happen.

one sliver of hope: michael moore's next flick is supposed to take on health care.

Cyber Chapina said...

hey lady...so what about dental insurance any ideas? I have these 3 wisdom teeth, one grew in as only half a tooth with roots exposed...so Im thinkin it needs to come out. lots of pain, migrains and difficulty chewing things...can be a bummer, but havent taken care of it because I had too much to do for school. yes only three wisdom teeth cause I went once to one of those cheap butcher clinics and they ended up hacking and sawing at my face to take out one of my wisdom teetheses and I promised I would come back but been afraid ever since...but now its getting serious. someone hold my hand!