11.16.2005

food, grants, Tivo

I made the tastiest dish last night. Chinese eggplant, oyster mushrooms, green onions, thinly sliced beef stirfried. The sauce: garlic, oyster sauce, soy sauce, bit of honey, chinese cooking wine, bit of kalbee sauce, water, cornstarch. Sorry I don't have exact measurements, just a bit of this and that until it looks about right. It should be mostly oyster sauce though. I don't know how people can live on restaurant food alone. After a few days without home cooking and I don't feel well.

So I have been looking for grants and scholarships from Canadian sources for next Fall but I'm having a hard time finding anything. The categories tend to be so narrow - women in engineering, children of employees from X company, disabled, etc. Anyone out there with some suggestions? I don't think I even qualify for the regular BC grant for grad students studying outside of Canada. I need to get on this ASAP.

So my supportive bf (including in a financial way) got a special gift from me this year. Yup a Tivo and lifetime membership. I haven't much to contribute financially so I thought a big gift was in order. And no this does not serve as a dual gift for me. There's nothing on TV that I desperately need to watch, whereas he goes to great lengths to catch every West Wing. Unfortunately, I'll probably have to also watch a lot of Star Trek and anything with tanks, guns, and soldiers. We got it activated last night and I'm impressed by how easy it is to program. So, Will, Denny, Gigi, we've finally joined your cult.

5 comments:

egan said...

TiVo is a great gift. We got it for ourselves last Christmas and love it. Once you have it, you will never understand how you got along without it. My mom and brother still tape everything with VHS tapes. I think a TiVo box may be on their Christmas list.

Good luck with your fund hunting.

.:missy:. said...

If you have any other good stir fry recipes laying around, pass them along. I love to cook, and stir frys are my FAVORITE!!! And I agree - too many days eating out makes me feel yucky, too.

Do you use a wok? And, do you like rice or noodles with stir fry?

Eunice said...

I didn't watch much TV until I got TiVo. Mostly because I'm never home. Then people would tell me to check out this or that, so I would. It's a beautiful thing.

Thanks for sharing the recipe, I definitely will try it out. :)

whatupwilly said...

Yay TiVo! I've heard from a handful of newly weds that their TiVo and cash were the only wedding gifts they didn't return.

I miss the early days of having TiVo (way back in 2000) when you got to "Show It Off" to people who have never heard of it before.

Will: "Check this out" *pause live tv*
Friend: whoa. weird.
Will: "Now check this out" *rewind live tv*
Friend: huh? I don't get it...

TiVo was so cool in the beginning and mind blowing, that I actually had a handful of people ask: "Wow, can you fast forward through a show that you are watching live?"

No retards...TiVo is great, but it can't time travel.

Syndromes said...

Tivo is the debil! Get rid of it now while you still can!! Donut let it take over you're life while you still have one!!!

AAAAAAAAAAH!!

*Sits down to watch 140 hours straight of tivo content...*