11.11.2005

don't go to the doctors

I hate Blue Cross. I went to the doctors for an annual check up and the doctor wanted me to take a blood test to check my cholesterol and stuff. I figured this was basic stuff so I didn't think to call Blue Cross first to see if it was covered. Typically my doctors visits are covered 70% or something. This week the bill came. My blood test costed $229 and NONE of it was fucking covered! I'm so pissed. I call the doctor and then Blue Cross and it turns out that routine testing or preventive care of any kind is not covered. So the logic is they pay only for services that you need. So let's say I want to check my blood cholesterol. Not covered. Let's say as a result of NOT getting my cholesterol checked, I don't realize I have high cholesterol until I have a massive heart attack. Well lucky for me, getting checked into the hospital to treat the massive heart attack would be covered. In other words, they ain't gonna pay for anything until you're actually sick. Treating someone already sick I would think costs more than preventive treatment... I mean bypass surgery versus a blood test, come on already! So I don't understand. I hate you Blue Cross. But the only other option really is Kaiser which costs more, and they've managed to accidentally kill 4 of their patients in San Jose/Santa Clara in the last 13 months by giving out the wrong medicine or wrong dose. That is just spectacular.

So add that $229 to my $1400 in auto repairs this month and the $800 or so of grad school application fees. I dont make that much money in 3 months. I'm so broke it hurts.

6 comments:

ceaz said...

Kaiser saved my life, but I still don't like them.

Oliver said...

bloodwork costs HOW much!?! holy crap, as you know in Canada we never see a bill or invoice on this. i work in health care and i have no idea how much anything costs. my employer even pays my msp and extended benefits so i don't even know how much my coverage costs.

Syndromes said...

Ack :/ And I need to get some bloodwork done in the near future too. Gotta love our "best healthcare in the world!" that 40 million some-odd people can't even afford to use.

Bleh.

egan said...

America: the greatest country in the world*.

*if you have have money

Fumbling said...

Oliver. Yeah it fucking sucks here for healthcare. I couldn't believe it. Most people here pay several hundred bucks a month here to cover a family if they dont have company benefits.

James said...

I love it when I have an HMO, and they deny coverage for no reason whatsoever.