6.08.2004

Thought I'd post my response to an email on the ehclub list for further thought and reflection.

I grew up in coquitlam with a bunch of very ignorant white kids who were always asking me what sushi tastes like or how to say blah blah blah in Japanese or Chinese (probably thinking the two languages are one in the same). I learned rhymes like “me Chinese, me no dumb, me hang on to daddy’s bum”. I was so immersed in this shit that I didn’t know to take offense to it until high school or university when I actually met other Asian people who could speak English and finally began to get comfortable in my own skin. It was then that racial ignorance began to really disgust and infuriate me and I realized how ripped off I was living in that suburban hell. You folks who grew up in Richmond, Vancouver proper or Toronto are really lucky.

Back to your question: what do you think causes/incites our "people" to riot when we see stuff like this?

I can’t answer for everyone. Different things anger different people and since Asians are typically not ones to stir up shit and protest, it usually needs to hit a nerve. E.g. the stereotypes in Banzai were disgusting but for some who didn’t understand the social and political context weren’t pissed enough to sign the petition. For things like Details, many Asian men were personally insulted and hence the huge anti-Details support. Sometimes people “get it”, sometimes people don’t.

Luckily since the ethnic studies movement began in the 70s, in SF I might add, more and more students are learning about the struggles of early Asian immigrants to this country e.g. the late 1800s labourers, laundry owners, and gold miners and WWII internment camps. They are finally seeing archived films featuring very hurtful depictions of Asians (usually played by white actors). With more students knowing the history and understanding the social and political implications of seemingly harmless stereotypes, we’ll hopefully have more people driven to social activism. Unfortunately, as of now, I don’t think people get insulted enough. Hearing people say “you can’t take a joke” simply turns my stomach. I will one day have to write a long paper on why it’s not just a joke and have it ready for distribution. When something pisses you off… do something about it!

No comments: