6.02.2004

I have come to accept the fact that I am not of sound mind in the day time. I have been conditioned to associate being at home in the day with the stress of unemployment and/or pulling together graduate applications and waiting for acceptance letters. Just being here while it's light out causes me all sorts of anxiety that keeps me from getting anything done (other than watching interior decorating shows). But once night falls, there's a certain calm. The same calm that allowed me to be really superhumanly productive when I was slaving away for software companies. The same calm that now allows me to write in coherent sentences and read academic articles without feeling the urge to get up every 5 minutes to take care of some menial task. But, alas, there is a problem with this. My natural late evening calm and alertness competes viciously with this Puritan work ethic thing that has become a part of me. Getting up past 10 am overwhelms me with guilt that I don't get over 'til, you guessed it, nightfall the next day. And so I waste another day fighting both guilt from sleeping in and anxiety that I'm conditioned to suffer from not having to actually be somewhere and doing something important in the day. So should I fight the urge to stay up late and get stuff done at night in favour of being productive in the day like most humans? Or do I say to hell with this puritan work ethic waking up early bullshit and live the life of a night owl?

No comments: