4.15.2005

there

So my very tech savvy research methods prof today talked about there.com. Actually the topic of the day was ethnographic research and whether it's really possible to do such research virtually but she got to mentioning there.com. It is the weirdest thing. It's an online "meeting place" but not like NetMeeting or Webex because those have goals and things to accomplish for business type stuff. Kinda like party poker but even on that site you're there primarily to, well, play poker. On there.com you are just there. I kinda figure it to be like a chat room but with avatars to represent you and others in the room. Or perhaps kinda like playing Sims but you (are supposed to) play yourself. I dunno. I guess it'd be appealing to those with extreme social anxiety disorder and stalkers? I wonder if it'll ever catch on.

In unrelated news, I got a letter from Blue Cross saying they accidentally billed everyone twice for the month of April. I'm thinking don't they automate that shit?? I read a little further, "Please contact us at the address below to request a reimbursement." How the hell is that fair? You guys screw up and I have to do extra administrative work to get my money back? You idiots, just credit my account!

No comments: