4.11.2005

classmates and wine

Classmates.com is huge but if you are too cheap to pay like I imagine most of us are, you don't find out much about your old classmates except that they're alive, married (or not), their pets, country they live in and political views. But alas, there is always a free, though not quite as popular, alternative. Might I suggest http://graduates.com/ and I was going to suggest kitnetwork.com but dammit it got bought out by reunion.com. Bastards.

On an unrelated note, I have finally found dozens of people with the same sensitivity as I have to red wine. http://www.nobody-knows-anything.com/mtarchives/2003/10/wine_allergies.html

With most reds, my nose gets stuffy, I get abnormally red, my head throbs, and then the asthma hits and if my inhaler is not in my purse I get pretty damn uncomfortable. I get this (namely the asthma symptoms) once in a while with other alcohol especially if I drink on an empty stomach but not the way it hits me with red wine. What works for me is a Reactine (non drowsy allergy med I get in Canada because it's not available here without prescription) an hour before drinking. I've been assured by a doctor acquaintance that that is OK and typically it keeps the symptoms tolerable. Anyone else have weird alcohol allergies? I have friends who either pass out (literally) or black out (ie conscious, standing, talking, but can't see while their eyes are open) from drinking.

6 comments:

Syndromes said...

Weird! Alysha JUST posted about this on her blog! Strange coinkydink :D

Sounds like she basically needs to swear the stuff off as the effects are pretty brutal on her.

Ben said...

Have you found the "reunion" type sites useful? I met the guy who started Classmates (in Vancouver), just after he sold it. Of course, they've grown huge now, but I haven't used them almost ever because of the cost factor coupled with my cheapskate traits.

I haven't yet noticed the red wine reaction, but sometimes I miss things if I don't pay careful attention. I'll have to take note next time!

Fumbling said...

I've gotten in touch with a couple friends from school yeah. found out two people i knew, but didnt really know each other too well got married.

the fanny said...

I have the same reaction to wine. I'm allergic to everything, so I just thought it was from the fermenting process, mold, whatever, but I've pretty much just stayed away from it. Which blows.

But I've never known anyone else who's been "allergic" to it!

Sala B. said...

Hi Van,

I am not allergic to alcohol but I recently developed allergies with regards to pollen when I moved to the Bay Area. In addition, I was on the verge of paying for classmates.com account yesterday but withdrew for cheap reasons : ) Furthermore, good music always work well with wine and would like to invite you and your collegues to Downtime Music. You can download our latest mix.

Why am I doing this?

We share some things in common (allergic, music genre, philosophy interest) plus your are an Aquarius born in the year of the Dragon therefore why not.

Enjoy.

Fumbling said...

thanks for the link sala