3.31.2004

Looking young is what most people wish for. People spend thousands of dollars on creams and surgery and all that. But really, looking young is only advantageous if you're over 40 or so... and purely for the sake of vanity. I'm 28 and look 18 and there are no advantages to that at all, none whatsoever. People generally don't respect you (esp. at nice restaurants), don't take you seriously at work even if they're your subordinate, you get carded all the time, and it's hard to get a high level job when, during the interview process, they are secretly wondering how many years you've been out of high school.

Earlier this month I was volunteering at the Asian American film fest and it was mostly high school groups during the weekdays. This teacher started approaching me and I was getting ready to answer whatever questions he might have. As he got closer, he kind of mumbled, "oops, I thought you were one of the students. I was going to ask you to sit down." And his class was from a MIDDLE SCHOOL, not even a high school. I'm sick of people telling me how grateful I should be that I look young. Maybe I'll be grateful when I am 40, but right now I wish I just looked my freakin' age because I'm sick of being constantly treated like some snot nosed teenager. Maybe I should screen my ID and resume on a damn t-shirt and wear it every day.

No comments: