2.26.2004

You know you're old when you start saying things like "i don't understand kids these days". Or maybe I just don't understand kids in the United States. The twelve year old I tutor always has such interesting stories about what happens at his school. He goes to middle school which is grades 6-8. So keep in mind, that's age 11-14 or thereabouts. A new kid at his school recently got kicked out cuz he got busted for cocaine possession. Apparently a good number of cop cars showed up to deal with the situation. Another couple kids in grade 7 were, I believe, expelled because they were caught smoking pot. Here's my question. How do kids, who really shouldn't be old enough to be going out, get connections for weed and cocaine? That means they probably need to get hook ups with kids who are at least 3-4 years older. The freakish thing is, if you dont remember what a 12/13 year old looks like, they've barely hit puberty. We're talking not one pimple, no facial hair and about 5' tall. The worst thing kids did when I was in grade eight was smoke and maybe borrow stuff from their parent's liquor cabinet. I wonder if the kids today at good ol' Montgomery Middle School in Coquitlam, BC are anything like that. My mom tells me the Centennial kids have a pretty bad reputation now. Harrassing the neighbouring rec center staff so badly that they are asking for police protection.

No comments: