2.04.2004

I have such an incredible talent for getting laid off, I even got sent home from a volunteer position tonight. I hauled my ass through some flukey late evening traffic to get up to 111 Minna to help out with the SF Int'l Film Fest kick off party. I got through the door and the lady at the counter pulled me aside and said, "I think we got all the help we need. There's really not much for you to do right now". To that I replied, "I would prefer you GIVE me something to do because I came from a bit of a distance to volunteer tonight." She sends me over to another lady who drags me through the dense crowd to the volunteer coordinator (this disturbingly disorganized woman who sends really confusing emails). She apologizes and tells me she sent a bunch of the early shift volunteers home already and didn't expect things to go so smoothly so she doesn't need me. She goes and checks my name off a list so I can get credit for my free film vouchers. I'm thinking, that's fine and nice and all but really missing the point. Then she says "yeah unfortunately when the other volunteers get here, I'll have to tell them there's no work for them either." I start to get the feeling this woman has never managed a project in her life. Wouldn't it have been wise to add phone numbers to that list of volunteer names so that maybe she could call us and tell us we wouldn't have to battle traffic, waste gas and drive circles looking for parking so we could stand there and do nothing or elect to turn around and head home? Guess I just gotta come to terms with the fact that some people got their shit together and some don't. It's tough being a type A personality.

No comments: