1.15.2004

We just finished watching the extended version of LOTR Two Towers on DVD. OK, "watched" would be an overstatement for me. I sat still for the first two hours, played with hamsters for the third hour and surfed the web on my laptop in front of the TV for the fourth. I have to say I appreciate the beautiful landscapes, amazing costumes and mind-blowing special effects...but these fantasy movie plots just don't keep my attention.

I mean, I can sum up what I saw of it like this: group A has a magical object they must get rid of at some special place or the world will be over run by evil. Meanwhile, group B endures a parallel adventure trying to find group A. There is some sort of group C looking for someone or something, but I can't quite remember what. And, as in all fantasy stories, there are several evil groups of people that groups A and B must contend with. Of course, there is no definitive ending because you have to go see the third sequel which I'm sure is equally captivating.

My biggest question here is...why are the elves in this movie so tall? Simon explained patiently that only hobbits are little, while elves are tall and slender with pointy ears. "OH yeah?!" I responded, "Then why are the Keebler elves who make cookes in tree hollows so small?"

How come he laughed at me?

*sigh* now I feel bad because Simon put off seeing LOTR 3 so I could see it with him. How do I tell him that I would sooner re-write the math portion of my GMAT 5 times over or even watch a war movie (another Simon favourite) then sit through another (painfully boring) fantasy movie.

No comments: