1.13.2004

I've been noticing that since about last year, TV stations have really loosened up with their rules regarding profanity on TV. All of a sudden, it's ok to say bitch and asshole on TV. Apparently parent's groups are trying to take issue with the FCC about this, particularly after U2 came up to receive an award and Bono said "fucking" as an adjective, ie fucking excellent, I believe he said. Since it was used as an adjective and did not have sexual meaning, it was deemed ok for air. I'm pretty liberal, or least like to think I am, but I find it a little nuts to be showing the South Park movie on cable TV, even at 11pm. Yes, it's one of my all time favourite movies (in the laughing 'til I piss myself category) but I wouldn't ever let a kid under my supervision watch it.

On a related note (ok not really related but I'd file it under "what is this world coming to"), what's up with kids calling grown ups by their first names now? I used to call all my neighbours mr. or mrs. so and so and all my parents friends were auntie or uncle something. It seems that white kids commonly call their step parents by their first name. Actually this brings up yet another issue, what is the right thing to call your bf/gf's parents? I would think auntie and uncle would be most appropriate. However, white folks quite commonly call even their in-laws by their first names. I dunno, I get weirded out even when my friends' parents ask me to call them by their first names.

No comments: