9.20.2005

Jay and Jess's wedding

So here are some photos from the wedding over the weekend in Toronto. It's was extra interesting for two reasons. 1. it was a mixed Chinese Korean wedding which means a blending of different customs, 2. Food Network Canada's "I Do, Let's Eat" was filming the whole thing. So now I know what it's like to have a camera crew in your face the whole day. The show, which focuses on wedding cuisine from different cultures, will air June of next year. It'll be the first episode of season 2. How cool is that to have a free professional videographer AND have your wedding on TV??


Simon's folks getting served some tea during the Chinese tea ceremony for the bride's side of the family

Simon and I outside the church

Korean wedding ceremony for the groom's side before the Chinese banquet started. I don't know the details of what was happening and why but there were shot glasses, liquor, and food involved and it was really pretty and elaborate. Any Koreans out there care to explain? I'm guessing the part about throwing dried fruit and nuts into the bride's scarf was a fertility thing?

Korean style full body rock, paper, scissors (this is pretty hilarious)

I think Jess wore a total of 4 different dresses throughout the day and changed probably about 6 times including in and out of the white wedding dress a couple times. There was the white dress, the Korean one for the ceremony, the pink Korean one for dinner, and the Chinese cheong sam for dinner as well.

Now I want to go to more mixed weddings because this one was so cool to watch. In terms of food, I'd love to attend a Greek, French, Japanese, or Italian wedding. I will have to strategically meet engaged friends of those nationalities!

More pics here. Oh yeah, so this wedding reminded me some more about how dull, cold, and no fun my family is compared to the Ma family. Hell will freeze over before my family joins hands and dances in a circle at a wedding. In fact, hell will freeze over before I see my parents hold hands or display any affection to me or to each other. From informal surveys and various chain emails, I gather this is the norm for Chinese families rather than the exception. So I guess that makes the Au family normal.

3 comments:

Sam said...

I thought that was a norm for an Indian family, glad to see the Chinese also with us. ;)

Shaky Jake said...

Strange coincidence but while you were at a Chinese/Korean wedding with a girl named Jess. I was visiting a girl named Jess, who's Chinese and got married to a Korean guy almost exactly one year ago.

Fumbling said...

Shaky, that is WEIRD! And CheeseBoy nice to meet ya, I remember squirl talking about a friend who just moved to Paris!