6.30.2005

small world indeed

So I recently had my second "small world made smaller through blogging" incident. Let me retrace the first one that happened last year. Simon has a friend named Sheldon (York Univ friend) engaged to a gal named Natasha. Those two had been reading my blog for a while because it was linked from Ben's blog because Natasha knows Ben since, long ago, she dated his friend Mike. So anyways, Simon went to a wedding in Toronto that I did not attend. Shel and Natasha were also guests there. When Simon arrives there's a name card for me at the table with my name spelled right. He's thinking, how do they know who I'm dating and how did they figure out how to spell her name correctly. Well apparently Shel and Natasha told the married couple my name and the spelling of it because they had discovered my blog and saw pics of Simon in it and put 2 + 2 together.

Here's number two. I'm friends with Eva who has a sister, Celia who is dating Oliver. I've never met Celia or Oliver because I befriended Eva in the States and those two are back in Vancouver. But we all read each other's blogs apparently. Well recently, I posted pics from my cousin's wedding where my friend Jane is pulling a bottle of Crown out of her purse. Oliver recognizes Jane.....Jane is the former roomate of his brother's wife.

A non blog related incident also involved Jane. We were at Red Room club in Vancouver when we ran into her coworker Larry. Larry is from Toronto. He was with his friend Jason who was visiting from Toronto. Jason mentioned he was a DJ out there and I asked if he knew Simon's friend Nigel, also a DJ. Turned out he not only knew him, but Jason and Larry went to high school with Nigel and Simon and all the other folks you see in the wedding pics below.

There are theories that explain this kinda weird stuff http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small_world_phenomenon

I actually learned about that in the communication networks section of my intro to communication course in undergrad. I have a feeling that with communication technology, that 6 degrees of separation will be cut down a degree or two.

2 comments:

Syndromes said...

I've had a few weird experiences like that (though nowhere near as crazy as yours). Saw a girl in SD that I recognized from friendster, and when I was up in the bay area some girl who read my blog came up to me and introduced herself while I was at a concert O.o

Small world indeed, and only getting smaller :)

Glad to have you back in Jesusland! :D

Fumbling said...

Oh wait, you're another one. Jim Batcho, my classmate, asked me if I knew you. I actually don't remember what your name is but when named your blog, then I figured it out. He traced my blog from Eric's to yours to mine.