6.13.2005

sewing

I had predicted that getting approval to start my thesis would be a total pain in the ass so when I first got into Vancouver I headed straight to the textile liquidation place by my house to get an armload of fabrics and patterns. Good thing I did because, as predicted, I have not yet gotten approval to start because of miscellaneous stupid things out of my control. Anyways, so far I've made two tops, a skirt, and a dress. It has been a huge test of my patience but I like to sew when I'm back home because I have ready tech support at my side (mom). Stuff I make on my own is often a huge disaster. The thing about sewing is that you really never know what the hell you're going to end up with. It's like buying clothes without first trying it on. You don't know if the pattern will really fit your body or look flattering on you and you don't get to find out until you've spent hours and hours making it. So far everything has turned out OK (though not great) with some adjustments. But there's a certain satisfaction you get from sewing that you don't get from just purchasing clothes. There's the satisfaction of saving a few bucks and turning a piece of fabric into something wearable. There's also the fact that I made it with my own hands instead of giving away what little money I have to big corporations that use sweatshops to make the clothes and then jack up the price by slapping some meaningless brand name on the label, or worse yet, on the clothes itself (yuck!)Call it my statement against consumerism.

3 comments:

Syndromes said...

Could you knit me a thong?

I'm almost out of them :)

Fumbling said...

that is one crafty thing that I really dont enjoy is knitting. I can sew you a thong though hehe.

Jenn TM said...

Hey Van,

Do you have pics of the stuff you made? Would love to see it some time...