1.07.2008

footprint

Hmmm I thought because I only drive on weekends and take the bus weekdays and eat very little processed food that I'd be in the clear. Apparently not. Well at least I am doing better than most Americans. Actually now that I think about it the quiz is far too simplistic. It does not ask about other types of consumption, energy for example, which is something that I'm very careful about. I recycle religiously (and carefully and yes like in the PEMCO commercial I wash out recyclables and separate paper, plastic and glass), ask for paper versus plastic bags, and avoid using disposable stuff (cutlery, cups etc.) and individually packaged goods in favour of resusable or bulk items, so I think I should score some points for that.

http://www.earthday.net/footprint/quiz.asp

CATEGORY ACRES
FOOD 3.7
MOBILITY 1.7
SHELTER 3.7
GOODS/SERVICES 4.9
TOTAL FOOTPRINT 14

IN COMPARISON, THE AVERAGE ECOLOGICAL FOOTPRINT IN YOUR COUNTRY IS 24 ACRES PER PERSON.

WORLDWIDE, THERE EXIST 4.5 BIOLOGICALLY PRODUCTIVE ACRES PER PERSON.

IF EVERYONE LIVED LIKE YOU, WE WOULD NEED 3.2 PLANETS.

1 comment:

Ben said...

Cool quiz. Here's mine, but I had to say I was from China because Taiwan didn't show up in their list:

CATEGORY / GLOBAL HECTARES
FOOD / 0.9
MOBILITY / 1.2
SHELTER / 0.6
GOODS/SERVICES / 2.4
TOTAL FOOTPRINT / 5.1

IN COMPARISON, THE AVERAGE ECOLOGICAL FOOTPRINT IN YOUR COUNTRY IS 1.5 GLOBAL HECTARES PER PERSON.

WORLDWIDE, THERE EXIST 1.8 BIOLOGICALLY PRODUCTIVE GLOBAL HECTARES PER PERSON.

IF EVERYONE LIVED LIKE YOU, WE WOULD NEED 2.8 PLANETS.