3.06.2005

no pain no (weight) gain


Simon's new baby (no it was not hot yet)

Turkey before frying

Just no fried food for hamsters

One badass turkey

=====================================
I confirmed my hypothesis. My body does not produce enough bile to digest a meal comprised entirely of fried food. We christened the turkey fryer I got Simon as an early bday gift today. We had deep fried turkey, oysters, fries, and cheesesticks (recipe below). After 2 cheesesticks, 4 oysters and a bit of turkey and fries I was about ready to curl up on the floor in a fetal position. My stomach was killing me. 3 Tums and 1 Prevacid later, I was able to stand up nearly straight and play a couple rounds of poker (3rd place out of 5 on round 1, winner on round 2). I don't know how people in the south eat so much fried food. Quantity-wise I really didn't eat that much but I think I just OD'd on batter and oil and my body said NO. I actually felt a slight bit nauseaus for a while but some hot brown rice green tea really helped that (or maybe it was the Prevacid kicking in). I can see how a diet like this causes people to get fat and die of heart disease. Experiencing pain from eating should be a sign that something isn't right. I definitely prefer my mostly Asian diet of rice, fish, veggies, homemade soup, and small quantities of chicken and beef. People wonder why Asians age well. I am pretty sure it's our diet that makes the difference. Lots of tofu, fish, dark green veggies, soup and tea.

Here's the cheesestick recipe that turned out really well:

Deep Fryer Fried Cheese
Prep: 15 min, Cook: 5 min.
  • vegetable oil
  • 1/2 lb. Gruyère or mozzarella cheese, cut into 21/2 x 1/2 sticks
  • 1/2 cup all purpose flour
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
Heat oil in an electric deep fryer to 375°F. Dust cheese sticks with flour. Dip in beaten egg and then into breadcrumbs. Press crumbs around cheese and dip again in egg and crumbs. You may refrigerate at this time until time to cook. Place 3 or 4 cheese sticks in hot oil. Deep fry 2-3 minutes, turning once until golden brown. Transfer to absorbent paper to drain. Repeat process until all are fried.

3 comments:

whatupwilly said...

You should just add deep fried Pepcid to the menu with the cheese and you will be good to go. Wish I could have been there..next time!

head dump said...

Too bad the Deep Fried Twinkies didn't work out. I was really looking foward to biting into an oil filled sponge.

Anonymous said...

Hello. Just looking for a cheesestick recipe. I am thinking of rolling the flattened "Gardenia" pan with cheese inside. Then, soak it in beaten egg and roll into breadcrumbs. The, deep-fry... Anyway, thanks for providing another recipe. I'll try this one. :)