3.30.2005

more library drama

Simon moved his stop-and-start blog again. Now it's here http://simonma168.blogspot.com/

So I spent 3 hours in the library today somehow. The one at school this time. I decided it was time to watch a couple old but well known indie docs on Asian American women in the media - Slaying the Dragon by Deborah Gee and Picturing Oriental Girls by Valerie Soe. Did you know the song "I love being a girl" was sung by Nancy Kwan in Flower Drum Song (the first full length film with an all Asian American cast)? Yeah the same one that that god-awful Sarah Jessica Parker sings in the Gap commercial. Anyways, I was sitting there in the Media Access Center watching my films with my headset on when I heard some old lady in a nearby booth exclaim, "did you hear him? He called me a bitch for asking him to be quiet!". Unfortunately we're all sitting in little study carrels so I couldn't just stand up to see what all the racket was all about. I was just writhing with curiosity but poking my head up would totally get me busted for being nosy so I put my headset back on and kept watching my films. I heard the lady get up and leave. A few minutes later some asshole gets on his cell phone and has a loud conversation. Let's keep in mind we're in a fucking library. You know the place where people are quietly reading. I guess I know who the old lady was talking about. My film was almost finished and I wasn't in the mood to throw any shit at the fan today so I just packed up and left. Besides, yelling at someone to create drama is only fun when you have a supportive audience and you don't become equally as disruptive and rude as the person you hope to yell at.

3 comments:

head dump said...

Shouldn't these things be happening at a bar? That library is starting to sound ghetto.

Fumbling said...

well different library, the old lady vs cougar dispute I posted last month was at the FC public library, this one as SFSU

Cyber Chapina said...

Hi lady, Im just doing some research for my exam and need to find a documentary and a website that I feel "does a good job of representing a diasporic or underrepresented community" Maybe I'll try one of these I found on this old post. I already have one of each, but Im supposed to compare two websites and two documentaries. time is ticking...