3.31.2005

gym deal $8.25/mo or $14.50/mo!

Finally found a deal worth taking for a gym membership. 24 hour fitness was my old gym but it was DIRTY, overpriced, crowded and some of the aerobics instructors were horrible. Went to Gold's on the weekend because the radio ad claimed that they were having a deal - $29/mo, no enrollment fee. Sounds good. Went in there, the REAL deal is $29 a month for 1st 3 months, $49/mo thereafter, PLUS $49 processing fee. Thanks but no thanks. It was also packed on a sunny Saturday afternoon, I couldn't imagine how many are in there on evenings. Got a direct mail from Foster City Athletic club, $98 per year. I'm thinking this must be bullshit. So I called. The catch is you can't come in Mon/Tues (the busiest days) and you have to buy 2 years in advance (not uncommon).

But c'mon, this works out to $8.25 a month. No extra hidden fees. That's less than a 1-day drop in at the Y or Jewish Community Center. So I went in today to check out the facilities and signed up Simon for the 5 day (no Mon Tues) $98/year deal and got myself the 7 day for $173/year which works out to be $14.50 per month and again no fees, that was the actual cost. So I'm happy. They have pilates, yoga, karate and even samurai classes. They have an aerobics studio, racquetball, basketball, spinning, jacuzzi, sauna and all the regular gym stuff and unlike 24, they have someone cleaning for 3 hours every night plus a fulltime person just for cleaning. They even have lotions and cotton balls and stuff in the locker room. Oh and the average number of people per class is 15. Hooray for not packing up the studio like sardines. Those of you in south bay, they have a sister club in Mountain View, but don't all of you sign up at once or it'll get all busy and I won't like it.

7 comments:

head dump said...

That's a very good deal. I haven't seen a deal like that since, well, two years ago from "the Right Stuff" in South Bay. I was just thinking about how much I like my gym when I was there earlier, especially at the price I'm paying.

ceaz said...

Van.. gotta get the details of this one from you. Since I work in Mountain View and live near Foster City, this might work out for me.

Where is the gym exactly?

egan said...

I am a member of 24 Hour Fitness and hear you on the dirt factor. Man, if they didn't have a pool... I would have joined elsewhere. They are so dirty, yet abundant. Kind of like Taco Bell.

Ben said...

Um ... my "deal" at 24Hour was $25/month and I still kind of winced having to fork out the $900+ upfront. But out here in Taiwan, the best deal I could find (so far) was twice that. It's bullsh!t.

Sam said...

Foster City athletic club is a good gym, I was a member for two years never had any issues. The only problem was when I want to cancel my membership they want me to send a certified letter asking the same. Yeah right I am going to send them a certified mail, I called up my credit card company and cancelled my card. :)

Mike said...

Hi, I seem to be a bit lost. I thought I was getting somewhere looking for information about body solid fitness equipment and I ended up here. Well, great job on body solid fitness equipment. I have a similar interest in body solid fitness equipment. Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

I just bookmarked your blog. I will try to post often.

Do you think gas pricing is ever going to go down? I founds some gas saving tips at printable coupon


Keep in touch :)