1.18.2005

deadly weapon?

Sorry it's been a while since my last post. I got all caught up with stuff like getting an oil change, tire rotation, buying texts, getting my car jumpstarted after the battery died, and doing bridesmaid duties. So Friday night we had a chance to go out. I was the DD so I have a pretty clear memory of an interesting turn of events that took place before we even stepped into the club. We headed to Mixed Elements at Element Lounge on Geary @ Polk. Typically my favorite Bay Area party with good house and progressive music and friendly mixed crowd in the late 20s to 30s range. But that night we had quite an anomoly. As we got to the cashier I saw that she was having an argument with some drunk lady which went like this:

cashier: You have to pay $10 cover
drunk lady: I'm invited. I know people here.
cashier: If you know people, you'd be on the list. You are holding a drink. You can't just walk in here and have a drink and not pay cover. (someone by the bar I assume had bought and handed her a drink)

(dirty looks are exchanged)

What came next completely caught me off guard. The drunk lady wound up and threw her drink, which was contained in a REALLY heavy bottomed Maker's Mark glass, at the cashier's face from about 3' away. And damn she had good aim. It smacked her right on the cheek and the drink splashed all over her, and all over me. Then somehow the drunk lady landed in a heap at my feet. It happened so fast I didn't know what to do. I figured the bouncer at the door would just grab her. The thought also crossed my mind that if I hung onto her hair or swung a punch at her myself (just for the hell of it) she might just reach up and deck me one too (and she's already proven her strength and aim). Since we hadn't even started our night and the boys were thirsty I made the split second decision to do absolutely nothing. Next thing you know, the lady gets up and bolts out the door with the bouncer running after her.

I went to chat with the girls who took her place at the end of the night. They claim the bouncer intentionally made a half assed effort at chasing her down because she really did know some of the club staff. So effectively he was allowing her to get away. So that was our Friday night adventure. The rest of the night was great save for James' breathalyzer breaking down. Excellent music great crowd.

1 comment:

ceaz said...

van, where'd you get your tire rotation done? I need one with my next oil change but don't want to bring it back to the dealership.