2.16.2005

jr. high segregation

This is something I posted on a collaborative site we use for our pedagogy class. It's a memory that resurfaced after another student mentioned that his math teacher had physically separated the "good" math students from the "bad" ones in his high school class:

Something happened in grade 8 that didn't strike me as strange at the time (I wasn't too observant or socially aware). Back then I was one of very very few ethnic minority students in my school (and in my hometown of Coquitlam in general). On the first day of Social Studies, our teacher moved the non-white students such that we sat in a row next to the window and all the white kids occupied the other seats (they didnt get moved around except to move them away from the window). She never explained why she did that and it wasn't until someone noticed and told me that I realized she moved all the ethnic minority kids to that row, including me. Maybe it was so the coloured kids took all the injury from glass breaking in the event of an earthquake. I still can't believe that I was so oblivious to what she was doing. I wish I could go back in time and grill her now.

Is that messed up or what? Does anyone else have any messed up stories like this? I think this among other bad memories really contributed to my current interest in youth and ethnicity.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wonder if it's still possible to sue for emotional damage, caused by this teacher's psychological abuse?? :)

Jon