2.19.2005

29 dammit

Birthdays suck after 24 (when you can look forward to renting a car by yourself). Mine came and went and now there's nothing to show for each passing year but a couple pounds gained and some fine lines around the eyes. I am definitely not looking forward to next year's bday that's for sure. I think 23-25 was prime. Young, optimistic, energetic, had some solid work experience and could've really done anything and gone anywhere without feeling like I should focus more on settling down. But with 30 now in the foreseeable distance, my desire to conquer the world has wained. Looking back I wish I had traveled more, particularly after my first lay off in 2001. I really should've picked up at that point and gone somewhere far away for grad school. I wasted too much time only to land a similar job that added plenty to my resume but nothing to my sense of personal satisfaction. But, hey, hindsight is always 20/20. The question now is what to do next. Graduation is not too far off.

6 comments:

Syndromes said...

Damn you're old!!

But don't worry... i'll be joining the ranks of 29 in a few short months myself.

Whee.

.:missy:. said...

Happy (belated) Birthday! I am approaching 30 at rapid speed, and I agree - once you pass 24 or 25-ish, it just plain blows. Oh well. I guess it's better than the alternative. I hope you did something fun on your special day.

Shaky Jake said...

Thank god I'm still 28...at least til next month...but for the time being I can point my finger at you and mock your age...hehe.

Happy Belated Bday!

Sam said...

29 is not ‘that’ old. ;)

Well it sucks. I am 30 now and I have come to a stage where I tip the waitress more if they card me. When I was 25 I used to hate them when they card me.

Belated wishes.

jason l said...

30 sucks because you're not in your twenties, but you're not REALLY in your thirties the way being 10 doesn't make you a teenager. So you have to sweat turning 31. Or maybe I am just weird and 30 counts as thirties. ~ jason

guppieluv said...

happy belated birthday!!