2.13.2005

beading and such

My Saturday was spent first at a Toastmasters officer training session which started at 9am. I realized that I'm am embarrassingly anti social at that hour, particularly on a Saturday. I spent the first half hour avoiding eye contact and not speaking as my voice doesn't find me until I've been up at least an hour and a half or so. Real great way to behave at a meeting for people who like communicating and public speaking. Man I felt like such a loser.

Anyways, the rest of the day I went to a couple beading stores in San Mateo and then one near Stanford with Gigi to see how we can hand make some jewellry to go with the bridesmaid dresses. I have an entirely new respect for people who make jewelry and give them as gifts. First, threading beads and twisting really tiny wires is really tedious difficult work. Secondly, this shit is soooo expensive. Little crystal beads smaller than a pea cost $2.75 EACH! They were selling strands of them treaded on a string for $30 - $300! And if you get help from one of the employees to crimp a wire or something, that's a fee of $6. When fads like jewelry making come into vogue, Americans really know how to cash in by opening fancy schmancy stores in affluent neighbourhoods and charging an arm and a leg for things that should costs pennies. I remember the Trading Post, a store on Granville street next to the theatre near the Underground. They sell anything and everything craft-related dirt cheap, even semi-precious stones and jade. The place is a bit of a mess and the owners speak to each other real loud in Cantonese but I can bet they dont charge $1.50+USD for cheap little things like earring posts and clasps.

Speaking of things being way the hell overpriced here, I went to pick up my Singulair, prescription allergy/asthma medicine (I sucked an entire inhaler dry in a few months with the change in weather and a couple attempts at running outdoors) . They don't make a generic version of it so my copayment was $85 for a pack. I said thanks but no thanks. I think I'd prefer to deal with the closing in of my airways with mind over matter and a puff of my inhaler only when it gets too uncomfortable. Anyone have any alternative/homeopathic medicine suggestions?

BTW, something to keep in mind when looking for a mate. Apparently, opposites might attract but they won't stay happy.

4 comments:

Fumbling said...

Actually inhaler $10, Singulair is daily medication. they wanted $85 copayment for that.

Ben said...

If you're going to make bead things, it might make sense to visit a general crafts store instead of a specialty beads place. And then just buy it in bulk and strike a deal with the owner; you shouldn't have to pay retail if you're buying enough of it.

And there are other medicines for asthma. Besides that daily Singulair, you can try salbutamol (in Canada) or albuterol in the USA. Those latter ones are just for use when needed. And the albuterol metered puff somehow tastes like green/white grapes to me. Not a reason to use it, but sure is better than the salbutamol powder (GlaxoWellcome) I had before.

head dump said...

You might find beads to be cheaper in Vancouver. I like the beads store on W.4th just a block West of Burrard. They have frequent buyer discounts too. If you're looking into swarovski crystals you can check online to find cheaper bulk rates. Side note, if you guys need an extra hand for beading let me know, I love arts and crafts

I'm surprised that you don't stock up on meds in Vancouver, it's much cheaper up there. I don't have homeopathic remedies, but here are some foods to help tame the symptoms: Antioxidants: Vit C,E,A. Lycopene (tomatoes)and minerlas Magnesium (acts as bronchiodilator) and Selenium (meats and shellfish and certain veggies, broccoli is good for both). And of course avoid foods that cause allergic reactions.

I read the article re:looking for a mate. They forgot to mention that similar personalities such as stubborness, doesn't count. On the contrary, two nice people don't make the best couple either.

Fumbling said...

ooh food remedies even better! thanks dr.eva