5.13.2004

So summer is coming, which means fewer classes. A lot fewer. It's not like SFU's trimester system where you can take a full load year round, which was a beautiful thing. I'm taking a graduate level special topics course -- ie I develop a detailed thesis statement and do research on my topic for a semester under the guidance of my sponsoring prof. I'm very excited about doing this as it's the highest level of research I've ever done. I'll also be tutoring at least one student I know of over the summer, helping him catch up and get ready for grade eight, or eighth grade as they call it here. But what the hell am I going to do with the rest of my time? Well, since I'm only allowed to work legally on campus, I applied for some oncampus jobs. The problem? They pay a whopping $8.50 - $10 an hour. Yah you heard right. I've never made that little money in my life. My starting wage as a gymnastics coach (the job I worked between age 16 to 21) was around $12, usually it was more like $16. It sucks so bad to be applying for such low wage jobs but better to be making $8.50 an hour than spending it. I was also going to take a digital filmmaking course at College of San Mateo but it's around $550 and the credits don't really apply to my program so I'm thinking I'll learn by book, video and trial and error and use that money to buy more equipment. Might also volunteer to help with other people's documentary projects or something. Jeez I feel like my hands are tied not being able to get a real summer job like everyone else.

No comments: