4.11.2004

Unlike many girls, I have not been fantasizing about my wedding day since I was five years old. I do not know what my dress will look like or what music will be playing during our "first dance". And, unlike this one crazy roomate I had, I have not been subscribing to wedding magazines since the age of 20. In fact, I've only been to two weddings and couldn't even explain to you the role of each person in the wedding party. It was only after talking to G this weekend that I even realized how freakin much these productions cost. You're looking at upwards of a grand to rent the place for the ceremony and at least $500 per table for the reception, and that's the cost at a Chinese restaurant (not a fancy hotel or anything). Add a dress that costs at least another grand and misc stuff like cake, flowers, decorations, DJ, invitations, party favours, wine etc etc (not to mention the rings) and you're out AT LEAST $25K when it's all said and done. Even small budget weddings are at least $17K. Then you gotta do the traditional honeymoon routine. Good lord, in Canada, that would pay for a good chunk of your mortgage. It's unfortunate that it's become tradition to make such a big deal out of getting your name signed on a couple pieces of papers so you can share benefits and not be living in sin and shit. I just don't see the fun in all this. I don't get it at all. Maybe I'm lucky I spent more of my childhood climbing trees than playing with Barbie dolls.

Anyways, within the last 4 months I can count 6 couples, good friends of mine, who either just got engaged or are planning to really soon. This almost-30 age range sure sucks ass.

No comments: