4.07.2004

I am working on producing a radio show for a graduate seminar on media ethics. 20 minutes long. That's a damn long time. I've picked an interesting topic - stereotyping and racist (or at the very least, biased) language in sports broadcasting and journalism in the coverage of Asian American athletes. I figure there's plenty to talk about and it's not a topic that has been discussed to death. Damn, if I were thinking a little harder I would've chosen to talk about this William Hung mania. Oh well. Anyways, as I finished up my literature review and began to actually think about the format of my radio show (yes it's really going on the air, well campus air and streamed online), I came to realize that I don't listen to news radio. If I don't hear music, hockey commentators or traffic reports on the radio, I switch stations. There's two things I can't stand, hearing stupid people talk and listening to people argue and talk over each other. Until now, I didn't know that carefully produced radio shows with sound bites, readings, interviews and the like exist. NPR.org is where I've been going to listen to them and it's kind of like hearing an essay but with clips of interviews and opinions and, yes, intelligent people speaking, not a bunch of buffoons trampling all over each other. So yah, my final project involves putting one of these things together. Any advice or help? So far I'm trying to interview a journalist and maybe get some opinions of Asian American athletes, Asian Studies profs etc. Am I the only one who never listens to news radio?

No comments: