12.03.2003

I had an interview with a start up in the city on 2nd street @ Folsom today. Right in the plaza where I used to go to Lee's Deli to grab a sandwich and worked out at 24 hour fitness after a long day at Scale Eight. Ah the memories. Back when everything was so new, somewhat scary and so unstable. Wait, my life is still unstable, what am I talking about?

Anyways, there were two security guys telling people who looked lost to sign in at the lobby (2 guys, overkill or what?). Took the elevator to the third floor and almost fell over when I walked into their office. It was so stark and bare, you'd think it were empty if you didnt see the tops of people's heads over the cube walls. No wall hangings, no plants, no papers tacked to the cube walls, no awards framed in the waiting area. Next to reception, just two leather seats and an end table with a book of photos of San Francisco. I was walked down the aisle between the cubes to the meeting room for my interview. Each person had a black jacket hung neatly on a hook on the outside of their cube. I swear to God they were even the same jacket. So eery. I didn't look too closely but i dont think these people even had photos or kids' artwork or the tchotchskies you typically see littered in a high tech office space. They've been around since the late 90s and have moved offices but typically people move all their shit with them too. Hell, people at NetIQ had fish tanks, toaster ovens and bar fridges at their cubes. I wonder if they have a "no personal items on display" rule in effect or something.

No comments: